Puddle Plains HD
WAHEY! Welcome to our forums! You can sign-in or register to join!
Puddle Plains HD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TMSonic Reviews: Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

Go down

TMSonic Reviews: Metal Gear Rising Revengeance  Empty TMSonic Reviews: Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

Post by TMSonic1228 Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:07 am

Alright I'm going to have a go with a review series, or so I hope to, on these forums. No specific format or whatever, just kinda gonna write away and see how it goes. Lemme know what you people think of the game, review, or whatever.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

Being a moderate fan of the MGS franchise, I was somewhat excited to play the spin-off game featuring Raiden, the protagonist from MGS2. It's a shame it took me over a year and a half to finally get around to this game. Is this game hold up the Metal Gear name and stand with the rest in terms of quality? Or is it a shame to be considered in the same franchise featuring Mr. Snake?

First off, the game's story is a little...confusing? I mean, I tried pretty hard to follow it, but after things took a turn away from vengeance and revenge (REVEANGENCE), I found the game's story to be a bit hard to follow and after awhile of trying, un-interesting. Considering MGS is amazing normally in terms of story, it's a shame this one is so out there and hard to concept.

The graphics are pretty solid (Totally intended) as well. They don't do too much to push the systems they are on, but they definitely don't look bad. Normally graphics nowadays on modern day systems usually don't look bad anymore, so this is right up there with the rest.

The gameplay on the other hand, is top notch. I normally am not a huge player when it comes to playing ridiculous and high combo filled slasher games like Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, but this game may have swayed me. Being developed by Platinum Games, with the exceptional Bayonetta already under there belts, they knew what they were doing when it came to making a ninja action game. You alternate between light and heavy attacks, mixed with crafty dodges and dashing techniques. The combat is not only fun to watch and perform, but you absolutely feel like a death machine slashing through hundreds of cyborgs. Though the game is very fun to play, it is easily as fun as it is challenging. The game can be downright brutal at times, especially on bosses, like the first and last ones. Luckily, aside from the first boss, the game slowly makes your skills improve as you are forced to become better at the game. At games beginning, I was just mashing buttons and pulling off insane and cool combos. But by the time I squared off against the game's main antagonist, I actually had somewhat of a strategy and had masterfully adapted to the games dodging and countering system, so the game made me feel like I had definitely gotten better at it. The bosses definitely test your skill and are one of the best parts of the game. The game also tries to throw in some stealthy segments akin to MGS, but they are usually optional and you can go all katana-ho on the enemies. But it is a nice throwback to the main series, even if the stealth segments are kinda just thrown together and not too much thought was put into it.

One of the reasons bosses are one of the best parts of the game is because of the music. The music during the game, specifically during boss fights, get your adrenaline pumping and fit with the flow of the game. It's what makes fighting the bosses so fun.

Here's a favorite of mine to fight to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuBUDTJpFmk

Overall, Metal Gear Rising's debut was in a way, a risk. But one to turned out to be favorable among fans, reviewers, and me. The game is a bit short, with my time clocking in at about 6 or 7 hours, and that's dying quite frequently. If you like these type of games, and can find the game for 20 bucks or less, I definitely would consider grabbing it. The game was a fun time, and all I have left to say is this. Bring on Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors.

I'll give this game a solid 8/10.

TMSonic1228
Puddle Splasher

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum